Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Exploration 8: "That Lean and Hungry Look"

Two Contradictions that Suzanne Britt is dealing with in That Lean and Hungry Look are whether thin people are too caught up in themselves and their work and if fat people are more carefree and accepting all other people. I think that she is taking a shot at thin people in this essay. She labels them all with hard working but snobby titles. I think that this true in some instances, but I think having the attitudes that she desrcribes comes with the persons personality and work ethic more than how they look physically. On the other hand I do not believe that all fat people are caring and joyful. There are many overweight people who work hard all the time, they just have an eating problem. I also know a few very mean fat people, they are all not jolly and accepting like the essay depicts.

A passage that I enjoy from the essay is in the middle of paragraph 4 on page 282. It says, "Thin people turn surly, mean and hard at a young age because they never learn the value of a hot-fudge sundae for easing tension. Thin people don't like gooey soft things because they themselves are neither gooey nor soft. They are crunchy and dull, like carrots. They go straight to the heart of the matter while fat people let things stay all blurry and hazy and vague, the way things actually are." I wanat to bash this in the literal sense first. I am quite thin, yet I enjoy hot-fudge sundaes as well as gooey soft things. This is because they are good and I know how to eat right and still enjoy sweets. I think that this passage really relates to how people are raised. People are crunchy and dull because of the environment they grew up in. People go straight to the heart of the matter because they think logically, they are problem solvers.

No comments: