Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Exploration 8: Shrouded in Contradiction

Some of the feelings the woman in this story felt were wanting two different things in her life. She liked wearing the hijab and what it has represented for generations, but also she liked to have some freedom from that. She was being pulled in two different ways from her feelings. She sees other women wearing bright color dresses and working women wearing other clothes and then looks at herself, and wanting something different. The author is the one telling the story about herself so she is feeling this, but I do not have a religion such as this. I go to church at times but it is not as strong as these men and women have in their culture and religion.
"Sister, this isn't about men and women," she says shaking her head. "This is about Islam." I marked this as important because it's a key statement for women telling them how it is and has been, it's for the country not for yourselfs. The women cover their skin and men do not but it is for the country they live in, just like other countries have a certain norm to follow by, or at least try to follow it.

6 comments:

Kelly Mignogna said...

I agree with your key statement. I believe that their culture looks at the hijab as more of a symbol of pride then anything. They wear it to represent their respect for their culture.

Jessica said...

I agree with what you said i felt that though sahe wanted to be able to wear what she wanted and had mixed feelings about the hijab she still knew where she came from and her values so by wearing the hijab she was being almost loyal to her culture.

Jimmy Wall said...

I can understand people wanting to respect their culture. but how is ok to make it a formal rule that women must wear certain clothes? it would be interesting to see how a woman of a different culture would be treated if they visited iran.

Najma Ali said...

I think she said that becuase its not just about her its about the religion and she wants her to respect it, but your right if she doesnt want to wear she shouldnt be forced.

Anonymous said...

I also marked that same passage as significant in the reading. I think the reason is for respect for their country and religion as well. I think it would be really difficult to wear the hijab every day though and would want something different as she did.

Lauren said...

I liked your quote because it shows the sterotypical image of Americans. I also used that quote when she was talking about her sister because it showed the conflict between relationships with family and your believes.I think because we are one of the countries with the freedom, people want to act, be a part of our cultural believes. I assume its very hard to transition into another culture and place because its hard to keep up with the traditions you have at home, but to also fit in to the country that to move into.